View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 12, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Illegal Touching Clarification

Gentlemen:

I received a telephone call from a cadet/trainee today. I believe he's been given improper enforcement on the rule for illegal touching by an ineligible receiver of the offense. You may all recall when a covered player who was eligible by number who went downfield and touched a pass it used to be OPI. 15-yards from PS and LOD. When the rule was written that way (for OPI) the foul for illegal touching was a foul that could ONLY be from behind the NZ. So, in the past if a player ineligible by position (or number) touched the ball (not accidentally) behind the NZ the foul was 5 yards from spot of touching and LOD.

Last year (or year before) the Fed has changed the OPI rule to be an illegal touching foul I guess thinking the 15 yards and LOD was to expensive of a foul. The table on page 63 says enforcement is from the spot of touching. I'm thinking perhaps they forgot to update the table.

Situation: 3rd and 3 at A's 40 yardline. #83 who is covered on the LOS runs down to B's 10 and catches a pass and is subsequently tackled at B's 5.

Ruling: Under the old rule it would be 4th and 18. What they're being told is because the table shows "spot of touching" that team B is given the opportunity of enfocing an ineligible downfield (which I agree) but they are NOT given the opportunity of giving B the option of making it 4th and 8 from A's 35.

I disagree with this. I said the tables are only a supplement to the rules and are not the official rule. Of course I don't have my rule book with me.

Additionally, they were told this is a multiple foul situation (which I agree) so if the ineligible downfield was declined then A would get a first down at B's 15after enforcement of the illegal touching foul. The LOD wouldn't apply since the LTG has been established due to the long pass. I disagree with this.

I believe this person was not properly informed.

What have you been told? Or, at a minimum, what is your interpretation?