View Single Post
Old Thu May 09, 2002, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'll have to disagree with you on this....

Your right, there are three officials on the floor and 10 of the biggest, fastest, best basketball players in the world. When you are refereeing the defense and watching guys like Karl Malone, Tim Duncan, or even little guys like John Stockton the last place that you are going to watch is their feet. Remember most of the NBA plays ( even after they took the illegal Defense away) a fairly tight man to man. Picks are more common in games like that then a spead out zone that is typical of manu high school games, or even college.

When you referee the defense correctly, and watching off ball correctly with those players there are some trade-offs to getting the plays right and one of them that gets sacrificed is a travel. If it doesnt look funny or weird the player may get away with a travel. It looked like a good move. You can't tell me that's not the way its reffed at even the high school level. There are travels all the time that dont get called because they look good, and the same foot movement that looks bad gets called. It happens in college it happens in CYO it happens in every league.

The NBA teaches a to anticiapte plays so not only are you refereeing the immediate defensive player but you have to kow where all defensive players are and what's happening there and where is the play developing. I can tell you from my experiences working with NBA/WNBA players and refs that there is a totally different perspective when you step on the floor with them. I can tell you that travels happen and are missed, oh well we miss alot of them at every level.

The rules are written for their agility and speed.