Thread: Table personnel
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 08, 2007, 09:32pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartrusepengui
I'm a little bored tonight so what's your worst table nightmare with scorekeeper and timer?
My two stories:

At our MS finale (on the road) the other day, the home team's timer seemed to not know how to administer the AP arrow properly. Since the home scorers were students, I offered to do it, but she said "I got it." She almost never changed it when it needed to be, unless the referee or myself reminded her we had a jump ball or start of quarter.

In the B game, which started off a bit physical and chippy, the referee made a comment to her in the second half (in jest, I hope) not to stop the clock any more. I happned to look up and see the clock running during a substitution in the 4th quarter. But when her team had the ball for an out of bounds throw in, she stopped it. Next time down the floor, we have a sideline throw in and the clock is running. So I asked her "Are you going to stop the clock for us too?"

I should have figured we were in for a long day when the home team's A-team took the floor in blue uniforms (matching almost perfectly with ours).

~~~

A few years back, the juco I was doing stats for had a student scorekeeper that actually got into a verbal argument with an opposing coach. Why? I have no idea. She was replaced either at halftime of that game or for the second game of the night, never to do the book again for the rest of the year.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball