Thread: A Two-fer
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 06, 2007, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
This happened in a D-III NCAA game in spring 2006:

I'm on the bases with nobody on and the score tied between two archrivals. The visiting team's batter raps a long fly down the right field line that ends up going out for a dinger. Well, as I turned to take the ball and the call, I hear behind me something erupt--a bunch of abnormal screaming and trash talking. As I finished my duties and have turned back toward the field to go back to my "A" position, I find out that the batter, after smacking the dinger, waited at home plate and flipped his bat at the pitcher, with the bat landing near the mound. The batter apparently had also said something to the pitcher while doing this. My partner working the plate, who was an MiLB ump working some spring ball for me, immediately tossed the batter.

Next, the home team's head coach comes to my partner trying to convince him that the home run doesn't count because the guy was ejected. The head coach doesn't win his argument, so he comes to me saying, "Randy, you're the crew chief. You've got to do something." I replied, "We did. The guy was ejected and we'll forward the report to your A.D. and the conference commissioner." "But he was ejected. You can't count the home run!" he maintains. "Oh? Then what would you like me to do with his at-bat? Create an out? Forget he ever existed? Sorry, Brian, but by rule, the home run counts and the ejection takes effect after he scores."

Brian walked away thoroughly confused but none too happy.
Prediction:

A misunderstanding, myopic straw grasper will see this as evidence as to why the ejection should have waited for the batter to reach home instead of proper mechanics.