Thread: Fair or foul
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 09:45pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
When I went to umpire school (years ago) had a similar situation on the first rules quiz we were given. I missed it, because the classroom instructor had told us in earlier in class that we should, for the most part, "screw the team who screwed up". The test question had to do with "Team A has 8 defensive players on the field, and the leadoff batter for Team B hits a homerun. Then it's noticed Team A was missing a left fielder. Ruling?" I figured "screw the team who screwed up", so I counted the run. Of course the rule book said "...the defensive team must have 9 men on the field". It was one of only two test questions I missed out of 234. Probably cost me a shot at the Bigs...

JJ
Or maybe not. However, isn't the rule enforced as such? This generally applies to F3, but also to any player. If one team complains that a fielder other than the catcher has a foot in foul territory, it is enforced for the remainder of the game for both teams. The next player who fails to heed such warning is ejected.

I don't have rule book to reference, so correct me if I'm wrong.