Thread: fair pole
View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 05, 2007, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcallmeblue
Ball is fair as the pole is fair. . .if the ball went into the defined dead ball territory, I would have called it Dead Ball and used my judgement on where to place the batter. I have similar issues on certain fields and I cover them in ground rules. . .but just like you, it took a weird play for me to add them to my gr's

I am assuming that the fielder had no shot at catching the ball, so I would have looked at where the runners were at the time of the contact with the pole. If BR rounded 1st and was on his way to second and in MY OPINION would have been safe at 3rd if the ball had been playable, I would have awarded him 3B, R1 scores.

There is no fault in calling it a "double"
Speaking ASA, this does not need to be covered in the ground rules unless the ground rules contradict the book rule. And, by rule, if you are ruling this as a fair ball that goes out of play in the manner of a ground rule double, is a 2 base award from the TOP, not an "umpire judgment" award.

ASA 8-5-I
Quote:
When a fair ball bounces over, rolls under or through a fence or any designated boundary of the playing field. ...
EFFECT: The ball is dead, and all runners are awarded two bases from the time of the pitch.
However, that said, this would be a home run, wouldn't it? Deflecting off the foul pole is considered having cleared the (mythical) fence in fair territory.

Last edited by Dakota; Mon Nov 05, 2007 at 12:26pm.