View Single Post
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:52am
Huck Finn

My opinion of screening and other off-ball calls is this: many officials talk about it, but few make the calls. I can only speak for Southern Nevada, the whole DC area and Mississippi, but this is what I've observed in the past.

Meetings are very lively with rules debates about everything, including screening. Then, the ball goes up and all that goes out the window. I don't think the officials I've come in contact with realize how little time a shooter needs to get off a good shot. It takes a very little amount of contact by the screener to free up a shooter. I see plays all the time where an official does not call an illegal screen where there is minimal contact, but still contact.
One of my good friends always gets pumped up when his first call is an illegal screen. For him that is setting the right tone for the game. It has worked for him too - after doing 4 or 5 years in the Pac-10 he is in Korea officiating their pro league.

I would encourage every official to know and understand the rules concerning screening, but most importantly know how to apply the rules and have the courage to do so.