View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

First play of game and we have a problem already!!!

Here in Iowa we started our playoffs last night Wed 10/31, halloween should have know better.

We are working a game in Boone home of the states athletic association the governing body of officials.

Team A returns kick. Not sure which line but for story sakes we will say to A's 30.

Now the fun.

A's first play basic off tackle gains 3 yards to A's 33.

PENALTY FLAG!!!

5 yard incidental face mask. We tack on 5 yards at the end of the run, replay 1st down.

1st and 2 from A's 38.

As the white hat I blow the ready for play.

I am on the right hand side of qb facing the far sideline where the chains are.

I count my players go thru my pre snap.

As the ball is being snappe or even tenths of second prior to the snap i see the line to gain marker on the chain moving down field.

Team A runs a sweep towards the chain side and gain 6-7 yards.

I blow the whistle to stop the clock and my crew is wondering why because they see now whistle and it appears to them it is going to be 2nd down.

Apparently the chain thougth since we added 5 yards and i said we will replay first down they thought they were to move the chains.

My linesman who is very very good said he told them to move. One of the chain guys fessed they moved the chains on their own.

So now i am thinking what to do.

Well what I/we did was some math in our head.

In two plays Team A gained 14 yards in total. Rather than going back and do everything all over we speotted the ball and put the chains down at A's 44 and 1st and 10.

Explained to both coaches what we had and they both were totally cool and the rest of the game went smooth.

Did we handle this correctly in your eyes or what should we have done differently.

Worst part playoff game, associations home town, and the home team was on defense. Not quite the way i envisioned the beinning of the game.

Sorry the length.