View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseball
you know what the book says: 40-4-4, when screening from behind you must give one normal step back.

I would have to say that I have never seen this called; maybe my memory does not serve or maybe coaches teach this religiously

on the other hand, I can picture back picks and how guys get right behind the guy being screened

anyone have any tips on how they handle this rule, maybe you guys have thought deeply on this one; it has not been a part of my repetoire to this point and maybe I am missing some stuff I need to be calling; I think I have always treated it like any other pic, stationary and not creating the contact was good enough for me
I have called this. It is a matter of being aware of what the offense is doing and determine if the screener is set, outside the vision of the defender and if he has allowed a step. Most instances where I have seen the back screener set the screen without giving a step there has not been any contact. Contact must occur to make the action illegal.