View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 01, 2007, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the call. However, I am just musing if the "let it roll up the leg" scenario violates the spirit and intent of the rule. The only case plays I have ever seen are where the defense intentionally uses the leg to try to block a pass or when the defense "grabs" the ball with their legs or feet. Interesting play... not sure I'd have a whistle on it.
Z - have you ever picked up a ball only using your foot and leg, kinda "soccer style"? I'm guessing the ball didn't have enough speed to fully roll all the way up the kid's leg without some sort of flick with the ankle, or some other motion with the leg. It was just the kid being a little lazy and not bending over to pick up the ball with his hands.

I'm not sure I would've called it before this, but only because my thinking was like yours - it wasn't a defensive manuever. Now I'll be more aware of it.

This is, btw, one of the reasons NCAA-W went away from putting the ball down at the spot of a throw-in during a TO - officials were doing things like this to pick up the ball, rather than just bending down and picking it up with their hands. The committee felt flicking the ball up with the foot didn't look "professional".

(Used with permission.)