View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 29, 2007, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Custom earplugs

I realized a few years ago that I was facing the same thing because of the whistle... I was having trouble hearing, getting headaches, and having trouble sleeping on days when I worked multiple games. (Using Acme, not Fox 40.)

I called a local speech & hearing clinic and got fitted for custom ear plugs, which have been great. They sit inside the ear and are flesh colored, so they're discreet enough that nobody notices. They block out most of the whistle sound, but you can still hear it when other officials blow their whistles. If you wear them, you'll definitely notice a difference at the end of the game when you take them out.

I've been wearing them anytime I work sub-varsity games or have multiple games in one day, and my hearing-related problems have vanished. (If I have a single varsity game, I go without so I can hear what the officials, players and coaches are saying more clearly... single games don't affect me as much as multiple games do.)

My health insurance covered them, but I don't think that's typical for most people... they might set you back a few game checks. Well worth it, though, in my opinion. I've seen enough hearing aids on older officials at the weekly meetings to know it's a good idea.