View Single Post
Old Mon May 06, 2002, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Scennario: R1 and R2, 1 out, Infield fly awareness signaled. Fly to right-center alley, definitely not down the right field foul line. I watch to make sure center fielder cleanly catches the ball, then watch R1 and R2's tags after the catch. R1 advances to third. I watch R2 as he tags and takes a few steps toward 2B in case he decides to advance on the throw back into the infield. The throw goes all the way to 3B. I turn toward 3B as R1 has retreated to 1B, PU looks at me to make the call on the bam-bam play that was over before I turned all the way around. He proceeds to yell that I was out of position and was to cover 3B and make the call. That I made him look bad on a call he made from the plate on a bam-bam play at third base. After the second game, of which I was the PU, I pulled out the NFHS umpries manual. The situation was there almost to exactness on page 48 U2: Position C. He was wrong and was actually the one out of position. Yet the only ones who know this is the home field coach, who had benefitted from the call, and is also an umpire, whom I discussed with later. I have not been scheduled by any AD's to work with him since, but plan to note his error.

The key I'm making is that there are times and places to correct the other official, but make sure you do it tastefully and that you are correct. You should not penalize a team or player for something that you or your fellow official did or called wrong and can be easily correctted and explained to coaches in a manner that does not embarrass you or your partner.