View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 25, 2007, 06:40pm
Official Forum Member

First off I would do away with the umpire schools and the PBUC as we now know them. I would select umpires from various programs ie: NCAA, USA Baseball, Baseball Canada, and other High Calibre programs. I would then work with one of the two schools to develop a set training school solely for these umpires. From there I would send them out to work with the low level Minor Leagues in groups of two, working in a three man crew with a local umpire who will be look at to see if he can also be brought along.

As far as pay scale goes I would pay these umpires a normal full-time job rate of about $40,000/year. However they would be required to be available all year except for set vacation periods. I would also group the umpires into three levels. The first level would be set to short-season A and Rookie classes, but rotate through the leagues and switch partners four times during the season. Level 2 would have full season A and AA in the same matter. While Level 3 would be your AAA and MLB fill-ins. The only way you could move up a level is to get assigned to do one of the fall/instuctional leagues in the off-season.

I would rewrite and reorganize the rule-book and issue a full updated version.

I do not believe in being a MLB umpire for life, however I don't feel you should lose your job just because of a couple of bad calls. As it becomes clear that an older umpire has fallen behind the times I would keep him on to act as a mentor/evaluator at various levels in the program.

The one major area of umpiring I would love to address is the fitness level of the umpires. There should be a set fitness requirement for umpires at all levels within the professional program. You never see a grossly out of weight official within any of the other major sport leagues (NBA, NFL, NHL)