Thread: The league
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 02:31pm
KSRef07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltdoggs
I don't make a point to go fishing or reaching for calls out of my area, but don't we have an obligation as officials to call the fouls/violations that we see on the floor...I may be scanning the floor and catch something that my partner might not be in the best position to see and call....

Thoughts....
Certainly don't want to wear blinders but don't want to "scan the floor" either. You have enough going on off-ball in your stated area. All officials have an obligation to call a foul that they see. See mechanic section 2.3.2.A.9 page 25. You just have to be aware of what your primary coverage area is and what is not your PCA. If a foul occurs outside your PCA (except non-basketball plays such as flagrant fouls which should be called immediately regardless of area), hold your whistle for a sec and let your partner have first shot. Then blow it if there is no call and it is obvious violation/foul. Your pregame should go over this tricky situation. You don't want to call a travel 40 feet away when it's in front of the Lead