Thread: The league
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 24, 2007, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town
So I took my little one to Nuggets game last night & much to my surprise most of the foul calls were double & sometimes even triple whistles.

Not that we care about the NBA ‘round here, but I just thought that was very interesting.
Have any of you noticed the doubles/triples this pre-season?
Do you all think this could be a new way to call fouls which helps prevent officials from attempting to decide the outcome of games?

I'll tell you what, doubles/triples are very convincing... it's hard to argue calls when the whole crew has it. The only calls that got boos & T's were the solos.
The NBA has been moving towards wanting more double whistles. For instance they don't want you as a T not blowing a foul because you see it and believe the L will have it. If it is obvious they want you to blow on it from T, cause if you don't they will ask you why you didn't have a foul on the play, and that will get you in more trouble than anything.

They also have a concept called "team officiating". I know it sounds like you've heard it before but it is different. "Team officiating" in its best conceptual use is, for example, when a post player spins toward the slot and away from the Lead. This play then becomes the slots play. Everybody knows that one, but this entails everywhere on the floor. If you can "sneak a peek" and have a clear look through from your position then you have an obligation to the team (officials) to make the call if your partner doesn't. This emphasizes an aggressive play caller.