View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimpiano
Mikes of course can be directed at an audio source, the cup and tee in golf, the net in basketball, etc. But those sounds cannot be alterted on a live broadcast....enhanced in volume,,,but not altered...and certainly no umpire's strike call can be changed to something it is not.
Oh, my gawd.

You are either living in the 1950's, technologically retarded or purposefully misrepresenting the truth,

Sounds can and often are altered on live broadcasts, in real time. I have seen it first hand as part of my job with a symphony orchestra and I know it to be done in many other situations. It is not difficult to tamper or alter a live sound as it goes through the board.

Some time back the NBA sweetened the sound of the basketball going through the net with a "popping sound" during live broadcasts and he NFL added an impact sound plus a swishing sound to hocky games.

Live broadcasted concerts often have additional tracks added to the live track to give the music that "studio" presence rather than the comparatively thin sound live performances often have.

It would no problem no alter an umpire's verbalization as he makes it. The decision as to what sound to use is made before the broadcast and the line carrying the umpire's voice is fed into a pre set board.

If you don't understand this simple technology, you should step back away from your computer or the magical spirits that make the pictures appear might get angry.