View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 22, 2007, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

What am I missing here?

New NCAA (men) rule concerning free throws where the bottom spot closest to the endline must remain vacant (NCAA 8.4.a). The first time I put enforced this at a juco scrimmage last Fri, the players and coaches looked at me like I was crazy. It does look VERY strange by the way. The question though is this...8.4 indicates that a maximum of six players (four opponents of the free-thrower and two teammates of the free-thrower) are permitted in the lane. 8.5.6. then goes on to state that no player shall be permitted to occupy the fourth space (closest to the free thrower). Well do the math...if nobody is in the bottom spot and nobody is in the top spot, then how can you have 6 players in the lane? Or is this just saying that nobody can be in the "new" fourth spot (not counting the spot on the endline since this is now off limits) which would actually be ABOVE the last lane mark and not really a true "lane space"?

In any event I let 6 in the lane which puts two right on top of the free thrower and is a bit awkward...will take some getting used to...