View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 21, 2007, 09:30am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by refmo64
If anyone saw the Florida State vs Wake Forest game on 10/11, it took the crew of officials a while to figure out the penalty administration.

K (FS) punted to R (WF). During the punt, there was a block in the back by R. The punt came down and hit the K player that was blocked in the back. R then muffed the ball and K recovered.

After much deliberation, the ball was taken back to the preceding spot and R was penalized ten yards for the block in the back which gave K a first down.

No PSK since K ended up with the ball, but why was K not given (or did not take) the option of taking the ball where they recovered it?
Sounds like they treated K's touch as an illegal touch (NCAA) or first touching (NFHS), not as forced touching. It's possible the block in the back and the touch were two separate, unrelated acts.

It may have taken a long time to administer, but if they did rule as I said above, they got the administration correct on a very complicated play and that's all that matters.

Friday night we had a live ball holding foul on A and a dead ball PF on B. We were very deliberate in discussing this play and then very deliberate in reporting it, too -- I sent the linesman to talk to the visiting coach and since I was already in front of the home bench, I talked to the home coach what was going to happen and then we marched off both penalties with me signaling each one before the U marked the yardage. Someone could've said we took to long, but I couldn't possibly care. I'm not on a clock and it's far worse for us to get it wrong or for the teams to not know what's happening.