Thread: New official
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 19, 2007, 12:29pm
Official Forum Member

You have already received a wealth of good advice. I would add:

1. Stand in front of a mirror and go through your mechanic signals. Without having yourself on video tape, this will you see what you actually look like out on the floor.

2. Read this forum. You will gain more basketball knowledge here than almost any other place. Sometimes wrong answers are posted so make sure you reference all situations and answers with the rule and case book.

3. Be confident but not cocky.

4. Study you positioning and make sure you can see what is going on in your area. Move if you are in a "straight-lined" position.

5. Communicate with your partner before, during and after games. Sometimes "pregames" are not done at lower level games. As a newbie, make sure you get a couple in so you and your partner(s) are clear on roles and responsibilities. When you call fouls or violations (fouls especially), make your initial mechanics are clean and crisp so your partner knows what is going on while you report to the table. After the game be willing to accept some constructive criticism. Prepare yourself to receive some comments that might be negative. Sort through what is truth in those comments and try to make yourself a better ref.

6. Choose one thing to improve upon each game.

7. Be patient. Most times we think we are better than we really are. We think we are ready to move up when we really are not ready to move up. Opportunities will arise as you are ready for them.

8. When in a public environment, NEVER criticize another ref. Even if you feel you are among friends, do not comment on the work of another ref. Sitting in the stands you do not have the same angle as the ref on the floor. You are farther away. If asked to comment, decline. Tell others you do not have the same angle as the ref on the floor.

9. When reffing, never tell a coach "That is not my call." If you saw it and it was obvious, call it. However, if you make a call out of your area, be 100% sure. Never make up calls. Make sure you see what you call.

10. Keep a back up of clothing and whistles.

With all that said ... Good Luck.