View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az.Ump
Sorry if I was not illustrative enough. S1 (the illegal sub) isn’t anything until the offensive manager or umpire assign her a status.
S1 is not an illegal sub. She is an unreported sub. That is what she is, by rule. Remember, we are talking NFHS here. NFHS Rule 3-3-3
Quote:
...Should there be no announcement of substitutions, a substitute has entered the game when the ball is live and:
... d. a batter takes her place in the batter's box...
Quote:
Remember the offensive coach can fix this prior to the defense protesting.
No, he can't. Not in NFHS. He can mitigate the penalty, but she has already entered the game and B8 has left the game. No option.
Quote:
With the view that she is automatically in the line up in the spot you chose, that would not be possible.
See above rule cite. She IS automatically in the lineup by rule.
Quote:
With your situation and the defensive coach protests, than I would agree. But I believe the ongoing situation is fluid. For instance if the offensive manager catches the mistake he could sub S1 for B7 to preserve re-entry rights for B8 and then bring the correct batter B8 to bat.
No, he can't. Not in NFHS.
Quote:
With S1 on base the defensive coach could sub her for anyone not on base or at bat if caught before a protest.
No, he can't. Not in NFHS.

The bottom line is, in NFHS, once S1 steps into the batter's box, and the ball is live, she is in the game. No option. He can mitigate the penalty by announcing the sub (a team warning results), but he can't change the fact that S1 has entered the game and B8 has left the game.

The problem here is that the coach probably did not know this was an unreported sub. He thought it was the EP. Hence, he will make no effort to correct the mistake, hence the high probability of a more severe error (illegal player) and the cascade of illegal players.

Last edited by Dakota; Thu Oct 18, 2007 at 06:57pm.