View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

“At the time S1 stepped into the batter's box, there is no confusion as to who she is batting for by rule (since she was unreported, we don't know who she THOUGHT she was batting for). She is batting for B8. There is no one else she could be batting for. The only legal place for B8, then, to re-enter the game is in the batter's box while S1 is still at-bat, or on base to run for S1. Anything else is illegal.”

Do we agree with that so far?

Yes and no. Sorry if I was not illustrative enough. S1 (the illegal sub) isn’t anything until the offensive manager or umpire assign her a status. Remember the offensive coach can fix this prior to the defense protesting. With the view that she is automatically in the line up in the spot you chose, that would not be possible. With your situation and the defensive coach protests, than I would agree. But I believe the ongoing situation is fluid. For instance if the offensive manager catches the mistake he could sub S1 for B7 to preserve re-entry rights for B8 and then bring the correct batter B8 to bat. With S1 on base the defensive coach could sub her for anyone not on base or at bat if caught before a protest. If S1 scores as in the OP and is in the dugout too bad.

I am not saying this should not be addressed and clearly spelled out. More information is usually helpful.

Paul