Thread: Question 20
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 18, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidMadness
A-1 scores. A-2 purposely grabs the ball, steps out of bounds and passes to A-3 who scores. While the ball is at the disposal of team B, the throw in by team A-2 is questioned. Official charges team A with a technical,cancels the score and puts the consumed time back on the clock. Is the official correct???

I cannot find in the rule book or case book about the consumed time being out back on?? I would think you would put the time back on, as teams could do this in the last 10 seconds of a h.s. game..as the clock doesn't stop and use it to their advantage....Any help or opinions would be welcome.
There is no provision for putting time back on as far as I know other than with a known timing error. As far as this being an advantage, think about it. If the game is that close that those few seconds matter that much, well now you just gave B a chance to shoot two free throws with the clock stopped. If I am team B, I like my chances in that scenario more than moving the ball the length of the court and scoring in less time than ran off the clock when A pulled the ball out of the basket and scored again, and the official blew the whistle for the T, what is that 2-3 seconds? Not to mention that B now gets the ball at division line after the free throws, so now they don't even have to move it the length of the court to score AGAIN....doesn't seem like much of an advantage for A unless the new trail official is completely asleep and doesn't notice that team A took the ball out after they just scored and just stands there for 5 seconds or something while the clock runs down....