View Single Post
Old Thu May 02, 2002, 04:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Mark,now you're just blowing me away!I LOVED Scrooge McDuck!I'm still pi$$ed off at my Mommy for throwing out my old comic books of his.Can I have your baby?
PS-I meant procreation.Don't mail me one of your kids.
Scrooge was created by native Oregonian Carl Barks, who just recently passed away. Barks wrote the stories and illustrated the strip for most of it's life. After he left Disney, others got the rights to produce stories and many have done a good job. However, the original stories by Barks are generally considered in the comic world as the finest examples of children's stories, especially for their storylines. Barks wrote on "two levels" and most of his stories were also adventures. Many involved Donald and his nephews (affectionally known to Scrooge-o-philes as "the boys"). My personal favorite is "The World's Second Richest Duck", featuring Flintheart Glomgold, who claims he is richer than Scrooge.

I am the proud owner of a limited edition coffee table book, "Scrooge McDuck - His Life And Times" which has been out of print for some time and came with a signed, numbered lithograph by Barks.

My son Josh and I read all the stories over and over when he was young, and when he has children of his own, I promised I would pass the book on to him.

I'll keep the print, though.

Some Scrooge trivia: the size of his money bin is 3 cubic acres / he made his original fortune in two ways - digging for gold in the Klondike and selling cannons in the Boer War / the city of Duckburg is located in the state of Calisota / he has the first dime he ever earned attached to his pants pocket by a length of string and considers it his "lucky dime" - others think that if they steal it, they will get rich, and Scrooge thinks that if he ever loses it, he will lose his fortune.

And yes, he swims in his money. Wouldn't you if you had 3 cubic acres of the stuff?