View Single Post
Old Thu May 02, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
BkbRef,

I'm interested to read more of your thoughts on the football rule change. I've been wanting to see a distinction made between blocking in the back and clipping for years. It seems to me that the two fouls need differing penalties due to the respective severity of each. A block in the back obviously creates a tremendous advantage (unfairly) for the offense/return team, whereas a clip does the same, but in a very dangerous manner.

I think the Fed took a great step with the clip and facemask rule changes. As it stands now, the only 15-yd contact penalties that are allowed by rule are for plays that are unusually dangerous, which seems to be very in line with the spirit of the game. Just my thoughts.
I don't have a problem with the changes. But some of the rationale that I read stated the changes were made because officials were reluctant to flag the major penalties. I don't think that's true.

Personally, I think any block at the knees creates a greater possibility of injury. I would like to see all blocking below the waist eliminated, even in the FBZ. Do you realize that if a blocker A1 goes low, the blockee B1
makes inital contact with his hands, and then the blocker hits B1 in the knees, the block is legal? That makes no sense. It's instinct for the blockee to extend his hands to protect himself. But in doing so, he legalizes the block.

BTW, think about this. Blocking below the waist is already a penalty. Now, we have a penalty for blocking above the waist in the back. Why do we even need a clipping penalty? Blocking below the waist is blocking below the waist, whether it's done from the front or the back. Throw the clipping penalty out. Frankly, most clipping fouls under the old rule were abovew the waist. Very seldom do you see a clip, as defined by the new rule.

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyrock
Hey - get over to the football board with all this clipping and face-masking drivel...this is a basketball board for crying out loud!!!
DJ, it's slow on the board. Let us have some fun.

Football rules are harder than basketball rules, but football is easier to officiate.