View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 16, 2007, 07:43am
Ref Ump Welsch

Each state association has their own rule about coaches pulling their teams off and refusing to play. It varies greatly. I believe in Nebraska, the official is supposed to "discuss" with the coach the consequence of pulling the team, i.e., forfeiture, and give him/her a chance to reconsider. Give the coach a reasonable amount of time (a couple of minutes or so), and if he/she is still refusing to put the team back on the court, the R announces the forfeit to both coaches, sign the book, and all officials hightail it out of there. The crew is also mandated to make a report to the NSAA, who will then contact the offending school. What happens after that, I'm not sure, because it's never happened as far as I know.

In Iowa, it's pretty much the same, but I know that in the rules meeting or one of the handouts from those meetings, it does say that the coach can be suspended by the IHSAA until he/she can meet with the Executive Director, etc. I can't remember the exact details, but it is outlined somewhere. Don't have all my materials here with me at work.