Thread: Ambient Noise
View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

A gym in our league had probably the worst conditions for a visiting team. Visiting "locker room" was a classroom that took 2 flights of stairs to get to. Windows above the visiting bench were always slightly cracked open so if it was hot, there would be a stream of hot air that went right into our backs and if it was cold, the back of our heads would be freezing. On rainy days the rain would drip on whatever items we would have behind our bench. Coincidentally, it was only the portion of the windows behind the visiting bench, not the home bench or scorers area.

Also, regardless of the weather, the windows would creak continuously. On top of that, the chains that were supposed to close the windows (but weren't functional) would rattle and jiggle in 10 second swaying intervals (again, only the disfuntional chains on the visitors side). Above the court was a fanning system. Not only is there the normal fanning system buzzing sound, there was also an accompanying flapping sound reminiscent of the baseball card in the spokes on the tire of a bicycle.

Fortunately, our team did not lose a single game there for the 7 years I coached against them. One of the motivational sayings I had for my team was "lets kick their @ss and get the heck out of this hell hole"...