View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 12, 2007, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
...Proposal #47 was submitted by a member of the NUS (I have a secondary packet with each individual proposal, full descriptive language attached, and name of the proposer/submitter). I suspect he submitted it for someone else, a nonvoting member, from his region; I wouldn't necessarily assume or suggest it was his idea or wording....
After the minor FUBAR of last year's ASA rules changes, I wrote an editorial on the ASA rules change process. Here is a brief quote from that editorial:
Quote:
Perhaps the entire process is too susceptible to foolish hobby-horse ideas coming from people who can gather alliances or can otherwise carry the day before more rational people have a chance to mull over the proposal and weigh into the discussion with some sensible, considered, rational, in-touch-with-reality views.
If a member of the NUS (or other voting member) must be the person who actually submits rules change proposals, this would be a good place for the initial filtering out of stupid, poorly-worded, reactionary "I'm-teed-off-and-there-otta-be-a-rule" or other bad ideas to occur.