View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 05:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck
In the same light, it is human nature to help those who make the effort and who you know and like. That is why I said to get involved locally. Even if you have to almost force your way in. Part of that, like it or not, is the smoozing factor. Hypothetical scenario...an assignor has a need for an official and decides to "give someone a shot". There are two officials who he feels are ready...one he has never spoken with and who rarely offers his services for things off the floor and one that he sees active all the time and has had the opportunity to get to know personally. Who do you think he is going to choose?
If you want a (regular) job, do you think anyone is going to hire you without first meeting you? I would expect assignors to take a similar position. Of course this does not apply with every game or every assignment, but most people want to know something about you before they give you game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Duck
Like Jurassic said, you are not going to stay unless you can prove yourself. But you cannot prove yourself until you get the shot. Getting that shot may very well require some off court effort that others call sucking up. I couldn't care less what an official who is not working to improve says about how I got the opportunity. If I conducted myself professionally and ethically I will sleep well.
Oh please, I know many officials that never got a shot and they kissed up or at the very least tried to. And those individuals in some cases hurt their future opportunities in the process. Did it ever occur to you that some people just cannot officiate and will never get certain opportunities?

Peace