View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I hope that my post did not give the impression that I thought "playing politics" was just (or more) important the being a good official and working to improve. You definetly need to know the rules, mechanics and how to apply the rules. You need to always conduct yourself professionally and be physically prepared to officiate the games.

However, I do firmly believe that what camps you select is important. Of course you need to select camps appropriate for you current officiating skill level and that will help you get better and reach you ultimate goals (whatever they may be). But you need to keep in mind the next step on your ladder to that goal. I hope someday to make it to college ball (probably not D1 as I started a little late). However, I know (right now) that I need to focus on my HS game and getting the better games locally. I can honestly say to myself that I am not ready to try to make the jump. Therefore, I would be better served finding a good camp where the local people that need to see more of my work will be in attendance than go to a camp 1,000 miles away because. All things considered, I will probably get more bang for my camp dollars by having them see me. Now if you can make both that is even better.

In the same light, it is human nature to help those who make the effort and who you know and like. That is why I said to get involved locally. Even if you have to almost force your way in. Part of that, like it or not, is the smoozing factor. Hypothetical scenario...an assignor has a need for an official and decides to "give someone a shot". There are two officials who he feels are ready...one he has never spoken with and who rarely offers his services for things off the floor and one that he sees active all the time and has had the opportunity to get to know personally. Who do you think he is going to choose?

Like Jurassic said, you are not going to stay unless you can prove yourself. But you cannot prove yourself until you get the shot. Getting that shot may very well require some off court effort that others call sucking up. I couldn't care less what an official who is not working to improve says about how I got the opportunity. If I conducted myself professionally and ethically I will sleep well.