View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 02:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

I think another point that needs to be made is that "Politics" is not always about someone kissing up. Sometimes "Politics" involves going to meetings regularly, helping out at a camp or association function or simply working with the right veteran that sees something positive in you. I know I have benefited from the fact I dedicate so much time to many of my associations and do things that others are not willing to do. I offered my services to give presentations and run for office in associations when others choose to not do anything. The fact that I am a perceived as a decent official helps, but when you prove you can work you get asked even more to help out because you have some credibility. In one association we created a mentor program and I am the only official that has been involved in the mentor program as a mentor every year the program has been active. I did not know this until recently, but guys like me are going to be considered for things that the equally qualified veteran may never get consideration for because they never take a leadership role. I even have been helping a guy this past year that one of my mentors asked me to help when this official moved to this area. I have become good friends with this guy not because he kissed my ***, but because he wants to learn, get better and constantly calls me for advice and wants to get better. All I have done is share what I know about officiating and point him in the right direction, he has done the rest and it is paying off for him.

I think sometimes we need to look in the mirror when we complain that we did not get opportunities. I have not gotten all the opportunities I feel I should have and I am sure some have some political consequences to the lack of those opportunities. But all I can do is continue to work hard and do what I have been doing. I feel if it is in the cards, I will get there. I feel that God always has a plan and just because it does not happen my way it does not mean I will not be happy with the results.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Thu Oct 11, 2007 at 02:42pm.