View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 11, 2007, 01:30pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
Like him or hate him, he won. It's time to stop whining about it. (Full disclosure: I am NOT registered Republican.)
I totally understand what you are saying and you may very well be right. However, don't believe everything you hear on the news - yes, to include the questionable ballots too.
After living in DC for three years and seeing how low us humans can stoop, I believe anything is possible.

Back to basketball officiating politics. I want to plead with every young official: do not be a brown noser, worrying about politics, before you take care of your (officiating) game on and off the court. This is a business where opportunity may knock several times, once or not at all and it will have nothing to do with your ability. There are also those guys who you see climbing the ladder and you know they just have the gift.
Putting forth the correct effort is so important. Politics can put an official in a position they shouldn't be in and don't deserve. If you get burned for being someplace too soon, you may not ever get the chance to get back.
We have meetings here, in Mississippi, and I just feel like telling a lot of guys to shut up and listen. They are so worried about making witty comments and talking about all the "what ifs" that they can't get the basics. It is so dumb and frustrating to see guys running their mouths all the time and you know they can't ref to save their lives.

I have to go, I forgot to block an official.