Thread: Interference
View Single Post
Old Wed May 01, 2002, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

No call. The runner tried to avoid contact and in fact did avoid contact. Even on a straight ground ball, if the runner was simply making her way toward 3B and jumped over the ball, the fact that F6 was disconcerted or hesitated or had her vision blocked is just tough luck. Now if the runner intentionally acted to interfere, by yelling, waving her arms, standing in front of the fielder and then proceeding just as the ball got there, that's another story.

Short of deliberate visual/audible interference, the only interference I'd call on a ball that a fielder had already kicked would be actual physical contact. I think that's all I'd call even if the fielder didn't kick it. But this does bring up just what kind of non-contact should be called interference, and I'm not at all clear on it, even after a thousand ASA games.

I blew the following call a few years ago: R1 on 1B, B2 hits dying quail toward F4 on a hop. R1 stops to let ball go by, but the ball, with a lot of spin on it, bounced directly at R1. F4 started toward the ball and then stopped because R1 was there. Her stop fooled me, and I ruled that R1 interfered with the play, but that was incorrect.