View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 10, 2007, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Figuring out the RPP revision

Has the NFHS actually changed the rule or simply clarified it. It's certainly not clear to me.

The resumption-of-play procedure used to be in force ONLY after a time-out or following an intermission. Those were the only two times that it applied.

Now if I read the editorial change correctly the 2007-08 book has added a third--when the throw-in team does not make a thrower available.

While we've always been authorized to put the ball down on the floor in this case, it hasn't been classified as RPP afaik.

So is the NFHS really saying that prior to any throw-in RPP is in effect if a thrower doesn't come to the spot?

On the other hand perhaps this was just a typo. Perhaps the word "or" is extraneous in the text of 4-38 and just slipped in there: "...make a thrower available or following..." When one examines the structure of 7-5-1 it seems that there are still only two instances in which RPP applies. It specifically says "after a time-out or the intermission between any quarter." (BTW I think that it should read "between any two quarters." ) There is no mention of after a violation or a foul. This makes me think that there was a mistake made in the wording of 4-38.

What do you guys think?

If a third element to RPP has been added, what is the affect upon the game? Can a team get a T for not having a thrower come over after a violation?