View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 03:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
JR, I'm not saying it should be that way. I know it shouldn't. But emotions are always a factor for me. They just are. It's not a question of whether or not emotions are a factor, it's a matter of trying to manage that.

And just to cut short some of the obvious female/male snarking, I'd just like to point out that emotions are ALWAYS a factor for everyone in everything. I've seen a lot of refs who got themselves into serious trouble by pretending they didn't have any emotional stuff going on when in fact, there was. I've never known anyone who doesn't have emotions of some sort or other in many situations. It's just a question of not letting the emotions get the control.
Juulie, I'm just giving you my own personal observations, and male/female stuff isn't a part of it. I haven't seen any female/male snarking in this thread. Imo the more competent officials never(well, hardly ever, maybe) let their emotions play any part in how they officiate a game. Emotions are not a factor when it comes to how they handle any particular situation. It's got nothing to do with being a hardazz either. You simply react to whatever is coming at you at any particular time in a way that your training/experience tells you is the best way to react to keep the game under control and moving.

It's a question of never letting your emotions be a factor in the way that you officiate a game. And that certainly includes going out of your way to explain something just because you "sympathized" with somebody. That was my point. And it's also jmo fwiw.