View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 04:10pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
9-2 covers throwin violations. If it is not a throwin violation, then 9-2 doesn't apply. A point that was debated when the previous interp. came out was that a throwin that is touched while OOB is not a throwin violation but an OOB violation. The previous interp. treated it as a throwin violation and the current interp. doesn't. The NFHS has corrected themselves to match what the interpreation was for decades (except for the last several months)
I love this stuff. First of all, it wasn't an interp; it was actually the rule. In the '04-'05 book, 9-2-10 (under throw-in violations) says that no player shall be out of bounds when touched by the throw-in pass. That made it a throw-in violation, not an out of bounds violation.

Second of all, however, that article was deleted from this year's book (in an apparently unannounced change), so now the rule is once again what it always was supposed to be. I didn't realize that the rule changed back last year. Thanks for making me go and look it up.

Actually, that article wasn't deleted. It was simply moved verbatim to Section 3 "Out of Bounds".

And FWIW, I still think that the arrow should not change in this situation. The ball was not touched legally. It doesn't matter if it would have been legal in some other circumstance. (At least, it shouldn't matter.)

Last edited by Scrapper1; Mon Oct 08, 2007 at 04:15pm.