View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve
This may sound stupid to those knowing the field issues, but why couldn't you/they just scratch up enough dirt to cover this and make it flush??

If that meant they had to dig it back out the next day, that wouldn't be my first concern.
I definitely have to pipe in on this one...

For a college summer back in '99, I used to maintain three fields every day for a local league. It was a GREAT summer job to have: getting some sun, listening to tunes, drinking some cold Cokes on a little John Deere, playing with dirt. Later that night, I'd call the games on one of the fields. What a blast for a college kid!

However, I got paid to do a job, and if this happened on one of my fields, I'd say that the town would have been throwing away its money on me. If I had seen something like this, it should have been the first thing I'd tend to. If the plugs aren't really "safe," I would take absolutely no offense if the players kind of "filled it in" for the games.

There's no excuse for poor workmanship. Improperly-maintained fields are the cause of a lot of the injuries we see, as well as a lot of rain-outs.

Speaking as a former field crew guy, if you spot these kinds of things, screw the crew. Have it fixed as you see fit. If there's an open plug, go ahead and fill it. Let the crew dig it out with a screwdriver in the morning. Serves 'em right. I've certainly done it, and I have no pity.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.