View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:23pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevs00cup
I've got the plate and need some help on this one! I told my partner during pregame I would take the second play in the infield at 3B.

R1 @ 2B, w/ 1 out. Batter hits a ground ball to F6, who looks R1 back to 2B. R1 breaks to third on the throw to F3. F3 catches the wide throw and attempts to make a sweep tag and misses. BU calls the R2 safe. F3 throws to F5, a very close tag out on R1(I made the call). Defensive manager asks BU to ask for help on the tag @1B. BU asks for help and I have the batter safe as well.

My question (after this long winded scenario) is where is the proper position for the plate umpire, when the ball is hit? I came out to the top of the circle to watch for a tag and pivoted toward 3B on the throw.
The proper mechanic for this play is that the BU takes both plays in the infield. The PU stays at home. Any BU worth his salt should have no problem handling the call at 1st base, then drop stepping with the right foot and heading toward the 3rd base side of the mound taking the throw over his shoulder. He is then in good position for any call at 3rd base. It looks plain sharp when done right.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25