View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 05, 2007, 08:14pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper
That happened to me last season! We're the road team, home team scorer is not present and host varsity coach asks me to do the official book. These kind of situations tick me off because it does not take that much time or effort to train a table staff that knows exactly what they are doing. I've seen more situations of game management having problems in 3 years of volleyball than 5 years of basketball.
I had a MS Girls game last year where we were away. I have our A & B rosters pre-printed out so I can hand a copy to the home scorer and let them copy it as I get their line up. Well, at this game, the home coach has the book in his hand and spends most of the warmup time socializing with the officials. Right before game time, he expects me to copy our full A & B rosters in his book. Needless to say, I said no. Why I should do his work if he's gonna waste his time? :P

###

As for today, sure enough, the home team only had sheets for their team. Luckily, I was prepared. Aside from having a timer who seemed to dislike blowing the horn for subs, and some issues with the officials mixing up the AP arrow, everything went smoothly otherwise.

###

And SCal, I agree. At our first home game, I reminded our timer (PE teacher that has done it all 3 years I've been at this school) about the revised horns for timeouts/foul-out replacements and the new rule on throw-ins, so we could both be on the same page. The key is to have two knowledgeable people who can back each other up.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Fri Oct 05, 2007 at 08:18pm.