View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 04, 2007, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Why should have McClelland signaled safe any faster? Watch the replay again. There was NO TAG. The catcher never caught the ball. It was banging around against his body and then rolled away from him. If there is no attempt to tag, there is no play for the umpire to signal safe to, is there?

McClelland saw the runner slide and touch home while the catcher was groping for the ball and then had to chase it down after it got away from him. Once the catcher got the ball and went to go tag the runner (which he should have done just in case) McClelland signaled safe to let the catcher know that the runner had already tagged home.

Seems to me that McClelland did it exactly the way you are supposed to. No signal on a runner touching home when there is no tag. Signaling safe when the catcher went to tag the runner to indicate that McClelland had the touch of the plate.

McClelland wasn't slow to signal, none was necessary until the catcher tried to tag the runner.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates