View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 03:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
You were missing my point - let's say a conference decides they don't like the "no tolerance" bench decorum rules that the NCAA is advocating. The officials might follow what the conference wants, and get recommended by the conference to the NCAA for post-season, but the NCAA might not actually use the officials from that conference. Or, even if the NCAA does use those officials, how far would they advance if they haven't been used to watching the bench all season?

I agree with you in the fact it will be very interesting to see how it plays out over the season. But it's not much different in real life - if someone takes advantage or extra liberties with a rule, usually the rule is clamped down extra hard before it's loosened again.
Here is another reality you might not be aware of. Someone that works in a conference and that is recommended to work in the NCAA Tournament is likely working other conferences. Since you and I are in Big Ten Country and you referenced a Big Ten game. You do not work in the Big Ten without working other conferences in the region. So if you live in the Midwest and you work the Big Ten, you likely work other smaller conferences like the Horizon, MAC, Mid-Con (now Summit), Missouri Valley or maybe the Ohio Valley and Atlantic 10. And if you look at the so-called "Big dogs" of college officiating, they are hiring officials that work multiple conferences and the same people that are hired in the Big Ten, also are recommended in other conferences as well. And on the Women's side of the isle, there are assignors that assign 6-10 Division 1 conferences. So a supervisor has even more say than at the Men's side. So there might be some lip service to what is in the POE, but it does not mean there are going to be 100 more Ts because of it either.

Peace