View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 02, 2007, 02:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Maybe that's what they're trying to say - we need to make it a priority. It hasn't been for a long time, and the YouTube video and my IL game example (as well as countless others) are the result. At the minimum the result doesn't look very good, and at the worst, the coach is certainly gaining an unfair advantage.
And there are many that would disagree with what you are saying. I could give a damn where a coach stands and if they are a toe over the line or not. It does nothing to affect how I call the game and it does not give them an advantage unless they are directly interfering with play.

Quote:
Of couse the officials do what the supervisor tells them; that's not a secret. I have had supervisors tell me to do little things that are contrary to specific rules and mechanics. What we don't know is whether the officials did what the supervisor told them in either case. In the IL game, I do not remember seeing any of the crew before, so they were probably new on staff since this was an "unimportant" non-conference game. We don't know if they were given a "good job" for not interrupting the game, or if they were ripped a new one for letting such an obvious thing go. The same with the officials in the video - did they get reprimanded for letting the coach wander like she did? We just don't know.
Well that is the reality. And until the NCAA starts hiring officials from all level of basketball, then you are going to get philosophies from one conference to another. This is not just a basketball thing. The SEC has been known as the laughing stock of college football because they advocated a mechanic that was outdated and not accepted by anyone. All the NCAA could do is who they gave assignments to for bowl games.

Quote:
As far as post-season assignments, you may get recommended if you follow what the supervisor tells you, but that doesn't mean the NCAA will use you if you have been told not to follow a specific POI. Realistically, if an official has not paid attention to bench decorum all season, how far do you think they will advance if they're not used to paying attention?
The NCAA only picks the recommended officials from the conferences. The NCAA does not pick officials the conferences do not recommend based on my understanding.

Quote:
Fwiw, I may not necessarily like having to pay more attention to the bench and the coaches, but that's what it looks like it's coming to. We, as officials, haven't been enforcing it well enough, so now it looks like the pendulum has swung over to no tolerance. It will be interesting to see how much they stick to it over the course of the season.
No tolerance whether it is a basketball rule or a school policy are stupid. There has to be some judgment and common sense used. And until you see it enforced as you think it will be, and then I will stand by my statement. I bet in the end the enforcement will not come near where you are suggesting it will be.

I seriously doubt the NCAA would just put someone in the tournament that was not recommended by anyone. I would not expect someone to work a post-season HS tournament that did not get one rating or if that person did not receive any recommendations either.

Peace