View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 30, 2007, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera
Well, you're free to do what you want. I disagree with your statement, but you are free to work a match as you please.

I am curious, however, what rule you would use to justify to an evaluator your decision to sanction a *legal* request by a coach, and what rule allows you to "judge the coach's purpose/conduct behind making repeated requests."
The *legal*ity of the request isn't the issue. Within the framework of this discussion you can't ignore the fact that the rule book allows a coach/player to be penalized for *legal* requests if, in the judgment of the official, those *legal* requests constitute UD or are an unsporting act.

As I mentioned in my last post, re-serves are *legal* and there is no defined numerical limit on the number of times a coach/player can take advantage of the re-serve rule, yet abusing the re-serve rule is an unsporting act (12-2-8m & 12-2-9j). Along the same lines, requesting the serving order is *legal* and there is no defined numerical limit on the number of times a coach/captain can request the serving order, yet excessive requests constitute UD (9-9-1c).

In both of the above situations the official must "judge the coach's purpose/conduct behind making repeated requests"; is the coach abusing the re-serve rule .. is the coach making excessive serving order requests.

So, I would justify my decision to penalize repeated unsuccessful challenges in the same manner as I would justify my decision to penalize any other *legal*, yet abusive or excessive request. I would tell the evaluator that based upon the repeated unsuccessful requests to continually review rules, I felt that the coach's conduct/purpose in making those requests was in violation of one or both of the following rules:

1. That the coach's purpose was to unnecessarily delayed the game in violation of 9-9-1: "Unnecessary delay includes, but is not limited to when:".

2. The coach's conduct disrupted the game in violation of rule 12-2-8-L, "Making any excessive requests designed to disrupt the game;".