View Single Post
Old Sun Sep 30, 2007, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I just spent some time parusing my copy and didn't see anything there to cover this. There are times, however, when an umpire's use of poor mechanics causes a runner to be put out unjustly should be "fixed." They're not mentioned in the MLBUM though.

Tim.
IF, and this is a big if, his ruling can be supported, justification MIGHT be because of this...

In the MLBUM, there is an example of when an umpire can put a runner improperly tagged out back onto a base. The example cited is R1 on first when the batter walks on ball four but R1 slides into second and is called out by the umpire who apparently didn't realize it was ball four. If R1 begins to leave the field and the defense tags him again because he's walking away from the base, the umpire can call "time" and put him on second because he should have gotten that base in the first place. This is to be distinguished, of course, from an R1 who overslides second on a walk. In that case, he's out when tagged.

So, if Eddings figured the "common sense and fair play" concept was in play here, kind of like the above example, then maybe that's why he ruled as he did. However, I wouldn't agree with it. The umpire is "part of the field" in certain situations, and unless there's a rule specifically covering such a situation--and I don't think 9.01c would--it's essentially a "tough luck" type of play and outcome.