View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 28, 2007, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaellis
I'm not sure that I completely understand what you are saying here. If during a dead ball the libero is replaced in the LB position by the player she replaced that's okay. If the libero then just slides over to the CB position and that player leaves the court, you now have a problem, which you caught. So bring back the CB, direct the libero to the bench, assess the UD penalty (if you choose to do so) and play on. The next dead ball the libero can then come in for the CB.
I did everything that you said except of course asses the UD (probabaly where my problems with not being taken seriously by her began). But are you calling this an option? Because as I understood it it was required and hence my mistake. I also explained the procedure to the visiting coach

Quote:
Was the coach trying to say that the libero is limited to only replacing two specific players?
Yes!

Quote:
Legal replacement and substitution. #3 should make sure and enter the court in the replacement zone before reporting to the substitution zone.
Done correctly

Quote:
Correct procedure. The coach may be under the impression that since the libero had already served for #3 she could only serve for the remainder of the game if she replaces #3 in the RB position. I have run into this misconception also when a coach thinks that the libero must replace a particular player in the serving order, when in actuality she can replace any player to serve in a particular position in the serving order.
The way I understood it she was arguing that without even including the server in the discussion, saying that a substition would be necessary to have #3 come in for #12 then go to the libero, which we know is not necessary.

Quote:
Red card (because you should have already issued the yellow card). However, forgetting your cards doesn't help with building credibility with the coaches, not that they apparently are taking you very seriously anyway (that sounds mean, but it's not intended that way).
I took some extra crap because I forgot the cards (actually left them in the car my wife had).

Also after a discussion with the leagues assignor he told me he had two or three score sheets and libero tracking sheets in front of him where the visiting varsity coach had sent the libero in to serve then the girl she replaces goes to the LF position while that girls leaves. In essence that means that she got away with putting the libero in for a front row person and fliping the server and that front row person. I suspect that the home coach caught wind that she was doing something illegal (and getting away with it) with the libero and questioned anything not commonly practiced with the libero.

I also caught the visitor out of rotation three times and had the coach tell me they had been lining up all year like that and had never had a problem with it. Pretty bad when I have to explain rule 6-3-2b to a V coach. One was the setter so I don't know how it was missed even by guys who just keep in mind the setter and her opposite. I on the other hand prefer to go through the whole line-up with the way that is easiest to remember usaully making the line-up into a date or phone No. I practice this up top with out a card and have caught several alignments on the serving team this way.

Quote:
This discussion is unnecessary, the rule book covers how and under what circumstances a coach can challenge an official/rule and the penalty for doing so if the coach is wrong. See 11-3-1.
Thanks for the reference on this one. But lets throw some curve balls here. What do I do if she had already used both timeouts? Do I give her the UD then go right back to the game or do I give her the UD after the giving her the TO and reviewing the decision. In this case I think she used one and questioned two of my decisions.

As a side note during a TO I want out to the stand and talked to the R and he asked "she don't like you does she?" I think she was still upset about some of my calls two weeks earlier including blowing an illegal attack for calling a FR player for putting the ball down that had not began to clear the net when no one was under her (I screwed that last part up and called it).

Note: In my state the coaches submit ratings on us and this comes into play deciding who gets state tournaments. When you have the nations winningest VB coach in your area and I've never gone toe to toe with him (I think that's how he wins is he coaches his team and not me), this woman wasn't even in the league below him.

I love working small schools! lol

Last edited by klo376; Sat Sep 29, 2007 at 12:19am.