Thread: Illegal Pitch
View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 27, 2007, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
I disagree with you on this one Steve. We actually have this arguement in our local board all the time. If you call the IP as soon as the hand touches the ball - she can simply step off the back of the pitcher's plate and you have nothing. By definition, the pitch begins when the hands are separated after they have been brought together (or something like that - don't have my book with me). IMO, when she takes the hands apart - that's when the IP is to be called. It became illegal when the hand touched the ball - it became a pitch when the hands separated.

I should add that I'm looking at this from fed rules . . . not sure if ASA treats it differently.

Looking from FED rules, it is 6-2-2 and the penalty states "An illegal pitch shall be called immediately"

In reading the EXCEPTION we are told that if the pitch is completed the coach (may) have the option, and signal with the left arm and so on. Then the NOTE: again states to call it when it becomes illegal.

If we say that "she can simply step off the back of the pitcher's plate and you have nothing" then what is to stop the F5 from applying vaseline (an illegal act per rule 6-2-2) then returning the ball to the pitcher? Or are you arguing that she may step off, remove the foriegn substance (be it vaseline or chalk, or spit) and then throw with still no penalty? These rules are listed under the title "INFRACTIONS BY PITCHER". If there is an infraction, how can there be no penalty?

Mountaineer I really think you need to re-consider somewhat.