View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 28, 2002, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Originally posted by Porch Dog

I've thought about posting this question for a couple of days. I even reviewed the postings over the last year to see if the subject has been addressed. Well, here it goes! Is it EVER acceptable to expand the strike zone to hurry a game along to conclusion? I've done it a couple of times and it always seems to come back to bite me in the fanny (maybe I've answered my own question). THANKS! Porch Dog

First question - what level are we talking about?

Generally speaking, it is best to have an EXPANDED zone right from inning one so one will not have any problems.

Also, if the score is a blow-out - no mercy rule, most good coaches realize what's going on and want the game to get over themselves.

You have to have an awareness of what type of teams you are dealing with. For example in the "rugrats" you better have an expanded zone or you will still be out there.

The problem I'm surmizing is that you have a "tight" zone to start out with, but then the game is dragging or a blow-out etc. and now you want to expand. As suggested, EXPAND from inning one and IMO you will not be bitten.

Pete Booth