View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan
Using NFHS rules - I thought the IW called for a replay of the down back at the original LOS.
The only IW I ever witnessed were on scrimmage kicks that were muffed and someone blew an IW. Using the ruling applied in the Wisconsin - Iowa game, the ball was in the kickers possession and becomes loose at the kick. If there is a muff by R , then an IW , then recoverd by K or R , the ball should go back to the line where K kicked the ball and replayed .

Do I have this right ? IW's are rare but if I ever need to rule on one I want to get it right.
Wisconsin's Hill broke through the line and was about to score a 20-yard touchdown but Iowa's A.J. Edds forced a fumble just shy of the end zone. Iowa's Mike Humpal appeared to recover in the end zone but the ball squirted free toward the back of the end zone where Wisconsin's Marcus Coleman jumped on it.

After a long booth review the officials ruled that there was an inadvertent whistle on the play and the ball was placed on the Iowa three. Two plays later Wicsonsin's Donovan hit Beckum for a touchdown with 43 seconds left in the second quarter.

Take a look at the NFHS rule book on page 48, RULE 4 Sec. 2 Art. 3 a, b, c, & note.

Then another thing to review is http://football.refs.org/workshop/knowledge.html