View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
Yes, I'm familiar with Dan Russell, also.

The biggest problem to make it as close to perfect as possible is that the "on field" action cannot be consistantly duplicated. However, just watching the slow-motion film of a pitched ball hitting the swinging bat is unbelievable. The extent to which the ball "collapses" around the bat and then rebounds is pretty amazing.

But the issue is that we have the best information we can presently get and the rules are based upon it. Whether one believes it or not is actually irrelevant as we are bound to enforce the rules as umpires. In turn, such an umpire could be held liable if they choose to ignore the rules that some believe could save a player, coach or fan their life.
There's never been a question of me enforcing the rules. I think a rolled bat = an altered bat, and I will act accordingly. Unfortunately I'm involved in a dialog with an ASA ump who sides with those that alter the bats...

And yes, watching a softball pancake like it does when it hits the bat (and the way the bat reacts) is completely crazy to watch in slow motion!

Last edited by JPRempe; Tue Sep 25, 2007 at 01:47pm.