View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Unhappy

BigJohn had posted this same article on the NFHS.ORG site. Here were my thoughts there...

Excellent article & to paraphase a little bit ==>
"I am a firm believer that one cannot be a good official without a firm grasp of the rules. I hear many talk about "game sense", a "feel for the game", and a "common sense" approach to the game.

My concern with these officials is that, often, these are substitute phrases which translate into, "I don't want to take the time to really learn the rules." Again, this is not always an absolute, but it is an observation."

Most officials that I know don't know the rules well enough to make the correct calls. The easy calls: TO's, encoachment, false start, most holds, yes everone does a good job with these.

Getting the tough ones right, block in the back, free block zone, chop blocks, kick catch interference, OPI, IG, etc., just doesn't happen.

Some Coaches post here their frustration which results from the lack of knowledge of the officials who work their games. Do we need to hear this criticism here, by all means, because we officials are the only ones who can help clean up our house. Sometimes that frustration is misplaced & goes where it shouldn't. BUT the feedback from all areas need to be posted & listened to...

IMHO, as a paid profession (or avocation), as a group, we don't do an adequate job for the kids & coaches for whom we serve.