View Single Post
Old Tue Sep 25, 2007, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
[QUOTE=jkumpire]That's why I do whistle the end of TO's, at least in HS matches (I don't in JH).

But I can understand why people don't. It's pretty silly to do isn't it?[quote]I don't think so. It's our way of communicating that BOTH teams are ready to play. Often you'll have players chatting on the court, and instead of verbally saying "we're ready to play," the whistle does that. Also, since libero replacements may not legally take place until the timeout is over, it's a great way to say "and now, you can make replacements."

Quote:
And under the rules when does a time out end, if both teams are on the court before the :60 are up?
When the whistle blows, if done correctly.

Quote:
By using the whistle are you not saying that the teams are ready to serve?
No, you are saying the timeout is over. When the U gives the court back to the R (remember, when the U whistles to signal a timeout, the U has control of the court until he/she gives it back to the R), THEN he/she is saying "we are ready for a serve." Until then, the U has control of the court, so the R shouldn't be blowing the whistle. This, of course, is assuming you actually have a U who gives the court back to the R...

Quote:
So what if you have a sub coming in legally, or a Libero replacement after the TO?
Administer the sub or let the replacement take place, THEN give the court back.

Quote:
Do I do my business, then blow the whistle so everyone at the concession stand sees we are readys to play, since everyone in the gym sees it? And if we are using multiple courts in the same facility, doesn't that just add an unecessary whistle to a situation with too many whistles already?
If that's your rationale, why bother blowing your whistle when the ball is down either? I mean, everyone sees that too, right?
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee